Please fill free to copy this new brochure and hand it out to friends, family, neighbors, co-workers or your church. We can use all the support possible. Thank you for being apart of our mission and God’s work in Greeley with the disabled. Just click on the orange link “Micah House Brochure” below and print.
Below is a picture of myself and Alan Kraft, pastor of Christ Community Church here in Greeley. We share a bond for the love of the gospel and our sons born with disabilities.
We have been very busy here in Greeley. For those who have not heard my (Darian) ankle ended up healing much better than the doctor expected. To say he was shocked when I went in would be an understatement; he was almost positive it was going to require surgery but instead I am going to rehab and things are healing very well! Praise God and thank you for those who were praying!
With the improvement of my ankle I have been able to move forward much more aggressively in establishing “Micah House”. Here is an update and things you can be praying about:
- Edith will begin classes on the 21st which will lead her through the process of our becoming a nonprofit separate from projectSALTbut still in partnership with them. This will allow us to remain a distinctly Christian ministry but qualify us for various non-governmental grants that do not give directly to churches.
- Please pray that the class will be a blessing to Edith and that it will enable us to receive non-profit status sooner rather than later.
- Pray as well that I will be successful in researching, applying for and acquiring various grants which would enable us to open soon with a quality program and location.
- I have continued to meet with numerous church and community leaders and have been enthusiastically received. We will have a meeting of leaders within the special needs, health, education, and faith communities on March 30th at First Presbyterian Church here in Greeley. At this meeting we will be attempting to set up a Board of Directors and an Advisory Board for “Micah House”. Both of these steps are necessary for us to become a non-profit.
- Please pray that God will pave the path and move in the hearts and minds of those He is calling to be a part of this ministry of mercy to those with disabilities and their families.
- Pray for people of character, faith and wisdom.
- Edith, Aaron and myself have visited three possible locations for both temporary start up and possible permanent locations for “Micah House”. It has been exciting to see what is possible but also a great responsibility in discerning God’s direction wisely and our ability to know that we would be able to sustain funding of a location.
- Please pray that God will lead us to the exact location He wishes to provide, whether it is a permanent one or a start up location.
- I will be traveling to Georgia April 13th through the 23rd to share with churches, friends and brothers and sisters in Christ what God has called us to here in Colorado and the amazing ways we have already seen Him work. If anyone would like to have me speak to their church, missions boards or have a simple small home get together with friends, please let me know.
I have intentionally kept this post to what God has been doing through our work in establishing “Micah House”. But our ministry here has much more going on and I look forward to sharing some of that with you later in the week.
We would ask one more prayer request of our friends and family in Christ. I had a biopsy done last week on my prostate after a routine physical with my new family doctor. We would ask that you would come along side of us in praying in faith that the test results would return non-cancerous so that we can continue to move forward in strength as we seek to minister for Christ here in Colorado.
If you would like to financially support our family you can do so through giving a tax deductible gift. On our contact page it gives you all the information needed to send a check to “projectSALT’ with a memo “Burns Family” or you can click the donate button at the top right of this page and give electronically. Thank you for your prayers, encouragement, love and support.
At first it seemed like the worst possible thing that could happen. Since we had arrived here in Colorado things were becoming more and more busy. I was planning a trip back east to visit with friends, pastors, and churches so that I could lay out our vision for mission here in Colorado and hopefully raise support for God’s work. Then two days before my scheduled trip, two weeks before my first Sunday preaching since leaving Maryland and two and a half weeks before we were beginning projectSALT house church at our home, I fractured my ankle and tore every ligament and tendon except my Achilles. All my plans, particularly for raising support, came crashing down. I had to cancel the trip, stay off my ankle; be still.
But God’s ways are not man’s ways, they are higher the prophet tells us. I had become so busy setting up our life and ministry here that I had set “Micah’s Touch: God Sightings from the Edge of Autism” on the back burner. Could there be a better time to get away to a quiet place and get back to writing?
Before I knew it I was on top of a mountain with no disruptions but an occasional deer. Our dear friend Marilyn Warren back in Baltimore lent me her family cabin in Cotopaxi for a week. Not only was I able to finish preparation for my sermon and planning for our House Church study, but I completed three new chapters for the book, leaving only three left before I can send the first draft to the publisher.
Because of each of you who have been led by God to support our ministry and Marilyn’s generosity of her cabin, I completed “Micah Doesn’t Care: Overcoming the Fear of Man”, “Finding Dad: Being Embraced by the Father Heart of God”, and “Leave Him Alone: Understanding the Need of Solitude in Our Christian Lives”.
Above is a picture of my view from the cabin each day while I was there. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you for your prayers and support.
God is truly moving! Edith and I have both been sick for a few days, God continues to move mountains. By this time next week we will be posting some very exciting things the Lord has done in moving projecSALT, Micah House, and Juniper Tree forward!
Also, keep an eye out for our first newsletter. If you want to be on our contact list for friends and family just send your information to Edith at InHisGrace@gmail.com and she will make sure to get you on there.
For now we are so excited to let you know that Fidelity Charitable has approved projectSALT as an authorized charity. This is truly a miracle considering how young we are as a ministry! What it means is that individuals, businesses and organizations can give through Fidelity Charitable, including transfer of stock and reap the best possible tax benefit. For more information if you are interested or if you know of a company, business or foundation that would like to support our ministry through projectSALT click on this link: FIDELITY CHARITABLE to learn how.
Keep remembering us in your prayers! God is moving. Keep an eye out for our post next week.
We have begun 2012 with our eyes and hearts fixed upon Christ!
- projectSALT had it’s launch service on the seventh. It was great to see so many show up and watch God unfolding His plan for Greeley!
- Darian has been busy writing, making contacts for Micah’s House and Juniper Tree, and meeting with Aaron several times a week for planning and study. He also had a few things he needed to wrap up at Dundalk Presbyterian.
- Edith has been busy getting us set up here in Colorado and corresponding to our friends and supporters.
- Our family hosted a projectSALT taco salad and game night. We had over twenty show up and no one broke the kitchen table playing spoons! This is a true blessing because it got intense.
We do have a number of prayer needs including:
- Darian will be returning to Maryland in February to attend his last meeting with the Presbytery of the East. He will also be using this time to hopefully meet with different churches, pastors, missions boards and individuals about supporting our mission here in Greeley. While we received a number of generous and large gifts which will get us through March, we have no reoccurring support to sustain our ministry as of yet. Please pray God will open hearts and doors for what he hopes to share. If you know a church that would like to have Darian share about projectSALT or speak, please get in touch with us. Also, please pray Darian will enjoy visiting all our friends at Dundalk Presbyterian and the Presbytery of the East.
- Please pray that Darian completes his first book “Micah’s Touch” and that God will guide his words and be glorified.
- Please pray that projectSALT will be able to complete the process of setting up a charitable account with Fidelity so that those wishing to support us can do so through transferring stocks if they wish.
- Pray for us as we prepare to teach the first projectSALT House Church regular study. Darian is busy preparing a “Foundations” study that our core team and then our entire church will be completing. So far he has begun work on the first two studies, Scripture and Jesus.
- Pray we have the funds to continue our insurance coverage after March.
- Pray for a location and/or land to build Micah House and for Darian and Edith as they begin to visit numerous programs for ideas and resources.
- Pray that we are able to build healthy relationships. We are further away from our family in Georgia than we have ever been and miss both them and our church family in Baltimore terribly.
- Pray for us to grow in our relationships with Christ, to establish new habits which brining us closer to Him each day so that we can better reflect Him to the community we have been called to reach.
Thank you to everyone for your words of encouragement and prayers.
Wow! Have we been busy since arriving in Greeley! In addition to getting the house in order, we have been busy getting Micah enrolled in school. He will be attending Greeley West High School through May, then our youngest will be graduating! This week he has been going half days to get him used to the new environment. Then, after Christmas break, he will begin full time. We have been pleasantly surprised at how well he has adjusted to the new environment. Please remember him in your prayers as he continues to deal with changes in routine and his new school.
Darian has met a number of times with Aaron Havens discussing Scripture, doctrine and the full glory of God. He has met with the Weld County’s Special Education Directors, Laura Casas and Joe Hendrickson to preliminarily discuss Micah House. They were very excited about the possibility of filling this much needed hole in services for Greeley. Darian also had lunch with area pastors and presented both the vision for Micah House as well as Juniper Tree Ministries and received a very positive reception. After Christmas he will be having lunch with the pastor of Greeley’s largest church who has expressed an interest in partnering withprojectSALT on Micah House. Darian will also be meeting with the Doug Brown and Greg Ehlert, Pastor and Associate Pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Greeley.
Jonathan and Matthew got here Saturday; Jonathan from Oakland and Matthew from Baltimore. Micah was so excited to pick them up at the airport that he brought his shoes to us all day after we told him that we would be going to pick up the boys. Both the boys really like our new home and are excited about the future of and the work of God through projectSALT.
We Made It! Praise God! He provided just what we needed to get here and get things set up. Look what greeted us…. That is our new home covered in snow. We were so tired. My back was out and every joint in my body hurt from all the packing, loading and driving over the last week. We did not know how we were going to get things unloaded. What a blessing to have been met by Aaron and told he had 13 people from projectSALT on the way! What had taken us three days to load was done in three hours. Praise God! The ladies even went the extra measure to set up our bedroom. Man what a great night sleeping in our own bed after such a long trip. I am so proud of Edith. She stayed so positive and drove her truck and trailer like a champ. Micah was great! We cannot wait to see what God has for us in the days and years to come.